courtneydion

Courtney Dion's Reviews

Vampire Academy (Series) by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy Box Set 1-6 - Richelle Mead

Series: Vampire Academy

Publication Date: Nov 2013 (Originally published 2007)

Publisher: Razorbill

Age Group: 16+

Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance

Pages: 2784

Format: Ebook

Source: Purchased

Buy the Book: Amazon

Add to: Goodreads | BookLikes

Two races of vampires walk our world. One, the Moroi, are alive and wield elemental magical. The other, the Strigoi, are undead and evil—feeding on the innocent to survive. Rose Hathaway—a half-vampire with poor impulse control—is training to be a bodyguard for a Moroi princess. Learning to decapitate and stake is hard enough, but Rose's real danger may lie in an illicit romance with one of her instructors...

I'm choosing to review this as the total series instead of each individual book. The simple reason is that I read them all in a book binge in less than two days. Anyway, I had originally read the first of the series, Vampire Academy, back in 2007 when it was first released. At the time I enjoyed it, but never picked up any of the others. Earlier this year the movie based on the book was released, so I decided to give it another go. Boy, did I! I honestly couldn't put it down. I read until my eyes couldn't focus and my head pounded from a headache.

The series follows Rose Hathaway, a 17 year old, half-vampire training to protect her best friend, Princess Vasilissa Dragomir. Between Rose's lack of self-control and Vasilissa's  psychosis-inducing magical powers, the Strigoi, a race of evil vampires, may not be the most dangerous enemy they face. To top it off, Vasilissa's choice in a boyfriend raises eyebrows amongst the royals and Rose's infatuation with her much older mentor  is a constant reminder that although they live in a world where the monsters are real, the greatest turmoil for these teenage girls is their love lives.

I'm so glad I decided to pick these books back up. I really did enjoy them and will definitely read them again.

Mead did an amazing job on the characters. They seemed real and Mead's handling of their emotions made me want to laugh with them and cry with them, not something that a lot of books can do. And goodness, did I love Dimitri Belikov. I'm not one of those girls who falls for every guy in the books I read, but for Dimitri I will make an exception. I guess he reminds me a lot of my hubby, not that he goes around in a leather duster looking like he just stepped out of a John Wayne western. And I could really empathize with Rose-- the relationship with an older guy, her lack of self-control, and the way she shows all of her emotions-- I see a lot of me in her.

The story was excellent, I didn't find any glaring continuity issues, and, thankfully, I didn't see any of the ridiculous quirks so often found in ebooks (you know the ones that make you wonder if they had a monkey do the ebook conversion).

It really is a great series with a great author.